About us |Animal Improvement | Small Stock | Livestock Production | Veld,Forage and Wildlife Ranching Division | Services | Links | Contact Us
Animal Production facilitates improvements in agricultural productivity, with the emphasis on sustainable animal production systems and administers the Animal Improvement Act, 1998 (Act. No. 62 of 1998). In line with the objective of promoting sustainable agricultural production, several policies and strategies were developed. These include policies on animal improvement, game farming, range and forage, and all these policies are aligned to the Livestock Development Strategy (LDS).
The aim of the policies and the strategy is to make sure that the livestock industry performs at its optimum capacity, with emphasis on providing support to emerging black farmers to be able to participate in the mainstream activities (e.g. marketing, value-add etc.), through introduction of programmes such as the Kaonafatso ya Dikgomo (Cattle Improvement), Milk Recording, and Livestock and Poultry support within rural development nodes. Other key programmes include the Goat Productivity Improvement and the Development of Feedlot/Grasslot facilities within the rural development nodes, which links to the AsgiSA (Accelerated and Shared Growth Initiative of South Africa).
To provide leadership and support for the livestock, game farming and wildlife ranching industries in South Africa, to ensure food security, economic development and global competitive.
- To develop and promulgate policy, norms and standards to support livestock production, Game Farming and wildlife Ranching.
- To develop, promote and implement national policy, norms and standards to support sustainable animal production and game farming systems
- Develop coordinate and support programs and schemes that support sustainable animal production and game farming.
- Ensure the regulation and promotion of sustainable animal production, and game farming practices
- Ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and [impact] assessment of animal production, and game farming systems and trends;
- Provide management support services with regard to financial, human resources and asset management as well as logistics